While we work tirelessly on continual small enhancements, fixes, and improvements, this page indicates our current direction for major functional and architectural improvements in the xTuple ERP software. To see where we've been, read the Release Notes on GitHub and SourceForge for our ERP software, OpenRPT report writer, CSVImp data import utility, and database Updater utility. We also encourage everyone to take advantage of new features and fixes and keep moving forward with increasingly more modern releases of our software: refer to xTuple's End of Life Policy.
xTupleCommerce 1.0.0 — May 2018
xTupleCommerce version 1.0.0, the xTuple ERP-integrated Customer Web Portal, is now available. We are in the process of upgrading existing customers from the pre-release versions. As we bring more customers on-line, we are finding and fixing the usual array of minor issues, so we're planning on a 1.0.1 soon and a 1.1.0 a little bit after that.
xTupleCommerce 1.0.1 — target early Q3 2018
xTupleCommerce 1.1.0 — target late Q3 2018
The goal is to have a minor bug-fix release shortly after customers go live with the first productized version of xTupleCommerce while we continue to expand the basic feature set. Features under consideration include online bill pay, a support/helpdesk interface, and subscriptions for physical and digital products.
xTuple ERP 4.11.3 — April 2018
As of April 5, 2018, xTuple ERP 4.11.3 has passed our automated testing and is undergoing a few days of production use at one site. Our goals were to finish the core adjustments for xTupleCommerce and fix bugs — 47 of them. We also added the ability to catch a number of issues in extension scripts that will need to be fixed before they can be used with version 5.0, coming later this year.
xTuple Connect 3.9.0 — target June 2018
An update to the xTuple Connect extension is planned for March, 2018. The 3.9.0 beta was released in October, 2017, but focus on other projects has prevented fixing a few remaining critical bugs. This release will address about a dozen issues, including some of the problems starting the email synchronization client and using appropriate as-of dates for recurring jobs.
xTuple ERP 4.12 — target Q3 2018
The upcoming 4.12 release will contain significant features that do not require the major database reorganization that the 5.0 features need.
- Support address validation services (commercial extension)
- Integration with third-party email services such as Constant Contact and MailChimp (goal)
- Three remaining FeatureMob2 items (goal)
- Subscriptions and digital downloads (goal)
- Enhanded capacity scheduling features (goal)
- External tax service integration (goal)
- ERP-wide Search in the desktop client (goal)
- Expand integrated Document Management (goal)
- Improve translation handling
- Simplify distribution of translations for core product and extensions
- Update translations for completeness (goal, will require community assistance)
- Use OS-standard storage locations
- Sales Order window improvements and rationalization
- Configurable export delimiter
- Continue performance improvements
xTuple ERP 5.0 — target Q3 2018
The xTuple ERP database and desktop client were first designed in 1999 and have grown exponentially ever since. Along the way, we have worked hard to reduce disruptions during upgrades. Changes to report definitions and application scripts have been minimized. User retraining betwee versions has generally not been required.
However, over the past several years, the needs and expectaions of users, administrators, and programmer have changed. Multiple applications share the same database. More people are customizing their xTuple ERP environment. xTuple must change to keep up.
We started updating application internals in the 4.1x code line to simplify future growth. We will continue to do so. Our goal is to add enough internal scaffolding to allow refreshing the xTuple experience in a few extremely broad areas in a short period of time:
- Simpler, more consistent and modern User Interface
- Database renormalization
- Simplified desktop client scripting interface
Don't worry — many of these internal changes in 4.1x will improve user interface consistency and application performance while also fixing existing bugs. The changes are worth making now, regardless of the timing of the user interface update. Whenever possible we will give developers, partners, and power users tools to prepare for the changes to come.
A large number of changes to CRM are coming in this release. These require significant changes to the underlying tables, which merits a major version number change. Many customizations will have to be adjusted to work with the new tables.
- Clarify, expand, and simplify relationships among CRM accounts, customers, vendors, contacts, and other application concepts (WIP)
- Multiple contacts per CRM account
- Multiple CRM accounts associated with a single contact
- Improve data validation at time of entry
- Improve the data audit trail
- Better support for recursive CRM accounts
- Clarify relationships among incidents, to-dos, projects, project tasks, and other application concepts
- Add concept of a "Lead", integrated with xTupleCommerce
- Simplify generating lists for email marketing campaigns (WIP)
- Improve functionality of CRM merge utilities (WIP)
- Expanded web API features
- Export templates
2019 and Beyond
Yes, we are thinking much further down the road. Some of the things we see doing next year, and the year after that [and... ] shape decisions we make today. Here are some of the features and architectural issues under consideration:
- Multitenant support — whether you want to keep your subsidiaries separate or you want to reduce the costs of cloud hosting your ERP system, multitenancy is the answer
- One API to rule them all
- All xTuple database clients should use the same interface to the database and business logic
- This will allow more ERPlets — small applications that do each do one piece of ERP and do that well
- This will open up xTuple to more third party extensions and integrations
- Simplified user interface on the desktop
- Expanded xTupleCommerce
- Online bill pay
- Expanded customer communications in both directions, inbound and outbound
That's just a few of the features we have in mind. Our sales, support, professional services, and development staff have been listening to you all. We're taking your input to heart and trying to find the best way to give you the features you need to run your business smoothly, efficiently, and effectively.
var _id = widget.id(); might become
var _id = widget.id;).
* Denotes functionality only available in commercially-licensed Editions